I’m having to remind myself all of this stuff at the moment to be honest. Due to an illness in the family I am starting work late many days so I have to be doubly careful to remain focused and avoid distractions.
Here is an example from just yesterday.
Got home intending to write articles for three hours.
Started but a friend started to chat with me on msn – 10
Checked my bank account online – 5 mins.
Checking my e-mail for anything important – 10 mins.
Helped wife bring shopping in – 10 mins.
Making tea and coffee – 10 mins.
Friend called me to chat – 20 mins.
Checked discussion forum – 20 mins.
Sent funny video on web to watch – 15 mins.
Hey presto. 3 hours writing turned into a poor quality and interrupted 90 minutes. 90 minutes of my precious time thrown away never to return.
If you are to get the most out of your study sessions then
you simply must:
1. Turn off all distractions including pagers, mobile phone ringers, e-mail audio alerts, instant messengers and home phones.
2. Turn off your internet browser unless you need it specifically to research a topic.
3. Inform your family not to interrupt you unless there is some sort of emergency.
4. Go somewhere where you know you will not be distracted.
5. Set your timer for the amount of time you intend to study and keep going until your time is up. Make sure you take a short break every 45 minutes.